The Tidewater Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Council, Inc. celebrated regional EMS personnel on June 19, 2016 at Harbor Park Stadium in Norfolk. The council presented awards to individuals who were selected for their high achievements and exceptional level of service.
“Our annual awards recognize those who are, not only everyday heroes, but those who go above and beyond expectations, and have been nominated by their peers for outstanding service,” said Jim Chandler, executive director of the Tidewater EMS Council, Inc. “Every day, Emergency Medical Services providers help save lives by responding to people suffering from difficulty breathing, a fall or accident, drowning, cardiac arrest, stroke, drug overdose or acute illness. Our awards help to bring their professionalism and dedication to the attention of the citizens they serve.”
Recipients of this year’s regional awards will have the chance to compete for the prestigious 2016 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, Nov. 12 in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
“I am honored to acknowledge the remarkable level of service and dedication shown by these regional award winners,” said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS. “Their commitment to providing lifesaving patient care to the citizens in their community make them worthy of such recognition.”
The 2016 Tidewater EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in EMS (R.C. Dailey Award) – Monica A. Reed, Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center
- Outstanding EMS Administrator (Bruce W. Edwards Award) – Thomas E. Schwalenberg, NRP, Chesapeake Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Agency - Portsmouth Fire Rescue and Emergency Services
- Outstanding Contribution to Emergency Preparedness and Response - Angela P. Gary, R.N., Chesapeake Regional Medical Center
- Outstanding Prehospital Provider – Alex C. Witte, NRP, Virginia Beach Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Physician (Frank M. Yeiser, Jr. Award) – Leonard J. Weireter, M.D., Eastern Virginia Medical School, Dept. of Surgery, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Kathryn E. Funk, R.N., Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center
- Outstanding Prehospital Educator (James M. Wagenbach Award) – Anthony A. Pirrone, AEMT Virginia Beach Volunteer Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children - Theresa E. Guins, M.D., Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Officer – Amanda Jackson, Virginia Beach 911
Photo by Wayne Berry. See more pictures here: http://www.tidewaterems.org/regional-ems-awards/award-picnic-pictures/2016-ems-awards-picnic