EMS Performance Improvement is...
EMS Performance Improvement (PI) is the process of applying knowledge, data, and experience to evaluate and improve EMS service delivery, personnel performance, and clinical care.
Performance Improvement Helps EMS By...
- Improving Quality, consistency and customer satisfaction in EMS systems
- Providing a way that EMS systems can define and improve what they do
- Supporting strategies to improve staffing patterns, education, and reimbursement
- Assisting EMS to define, measure and analyze their system of care
Does Your Program Meet State Guidelines?
12 VAC 5-31-600. Quality management reporting
An EMS agency shall have an ongoing Quality Management (QM) Program designed to objectively, systematically and continuously monitor, assess and improve the quality and appropriateness of patient care provided by the agency. The QM Program shall be integrated and include activities related to patient care, communications, and all aspects of transport operations and equipment maintenance pertinent to the agency's mission. The agency shall maintain a QM report that documents quarterly PPCR reviews, supervised by the Operational Medical Director.
How Does Your PI/QI Plan Work?
A PI/QI program is not meant to serve as a watchdog for big problems. A good PI/QI program tracks information that can be used to improve the overall effectiveness of your agency.
- How do you choose which PPCR/Subjects to review?
- Do you use peer review?
- Do you share your review with the providers that were on the call?
- What do you look for when you review a PPCR, subject, or protocol?
- Do you send a quarterly report to your OMD?
Performance Improvement Resources
A Leadership Guide to Quality Improvement for Emergency Medical Services Distributed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration