EMS Performance Improvement is...
...measuring the output of a particular business process or procedure, then modifying
the process or procedure to increase the output, increase efficiency, improve safety or increase the effectiveness
of the process or procedure.
Performance Improvement Helps EMS By...
- Improving quality, consistency and customer satisfaction in EMS systems
- Providing a way that EMS systems can define and improve what they do
- Supporting strategies to improve staffing patterns, education, and reimbursement
- Assisting EMS to define, measure and analyze their system of care
- Improving patient and provider safety
Plans and Related Documents
- Region Information
- Hospital Capabilities by Region
- Patient and Provider Safety PI Committee
- STEMI PI Committee / Regional STEMI PI Plan 2021 / Mission Lifeline
- Stroke PI Committee / Regional Stroke PI Plan 2021 / State Stroke Triage Plan
- Trauma PI Committee / Regional Trauma PI Plan 2021 / State Trauma Triage Plan
How Does Your PI/QI Plan Work?
A PI/QI program is not meant to serve as a watchdog for big problems. A good PI/QI program tracks information that can be used to improve the overall effectiveness of your agency.
- How do you choose which PPCR/Subjects to review?
- Do you use peer review?
- Do you share your review with the providers that were on the call?
- What do you look for when you review a PPCR, subject, or protocol?
- Do you send a quarterly report to your OMD?
A Leadership Guide to Quality Improvement for Emergency Medical Services Distributed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Code of Virginia
- 32.1-111.11 (Regional EMS Councils); 21.1-111.3 (Statewide Emergency Medical Services Plans); 32.1-111.4:1 (Statewide EMS Sytem and Services); 32.1-116.1:1 (Disclosure of Medical Records); 32.1-116.2 (Confidential Nature of Information); 32.1-12 (Regulation); 8.01-581.16 (Civil Immunity for Committee Members); 8.01-581.17 (Privileged Communication); 8.01-581.19 (Civil Immunity for EMS Providers)
EMS State Law - 12 Virginia Administration Code
- 5-31-390 (Destination Trauma Triage); 5-31-600 (Quality Management Reporting); 5-31-610 (Designated Emergency Response Agency Standards)
Federal Law - Department of Health and Human Services